Founded in 1899, Woodland Park Zoo is so much more than a zoo. WPZ provides unforgettable experiences that make science come to life and gives each visitor the tools to take conservation action in their own backyards. Their original site was non-responsive, confusing to visitors and didn’t provide the critical link to their mission of the global conservation of animals and their habitat. Nonprofit Garden needed to guide WPZ’s internal design team through the planning and implementation process of a site that would serve better serve visitors during their visit as well as showing them how to affect change.
“We have a small web team here at the zoo and didn’t have the bandwidth to manage a redesign project of this scale. Having the Nonprofit Garden team on site for discovery, planning and staff training was the key to our success.”John Loughlin
NetCommunity Project Highlights
Strategic Resource Partnership
Partnered with staff designers to create a unique and contemporary website in Blackbaud NetCommunity that has a wider visual format with user-centric features.
Developed a modular approach to the layouts and parts. This “part widget” concept serves a wide variety of needs and create consistency without increasing demand on internal resources
Mobile Giving & Registration
Customized donation and event registration forms to utilize both branded and user-friendly display as well as mobile responsive functionality resulting in a 14% increase in donations from the previous year.
Nonprofit Garden has had a great collaborative partnership with WPZ since 2010, so we had a deep understanding of the Zoo’s historical foundation and mission. The onsite discovery session created a dynamic dialog that resulted in a clear and creative direction for both a design and site architecture overhaul. We worked with their in-house designers as well as web editors in every stage of the project to ensure WPZ’s brand and mission were reflected on every page.
Using best practices for UX (User experience) in design and site navigation has resulted in a 135% increase in traffic overall and a 49% increase in revenue from mobile transactions. The use of visually driven layouts allows WPZ to leverage multimedia as part of the storytelling and Zoo visitors are embracing the site with open arms with an remarkable 31% increase in mobile traffic.
“Working with Nonprofit Garden’s programmer was so easy and helpful. Together we worked through some technical issues and came up with a design that had my vision but worked well within NetCommunity’s capabilities.”Misty Fried
- Partnered with in house designers to create a unique and contemporary website in Blackbaud NetCommunity that has a wider visual format with user-centric features.
- Programmed new Blackbaud NetCommunity CSS, layouts and page templates to reflect that are mobile responsive.
- Developed a modular approach to the layouts and that would serve a wide variety of needs without creating a higher demand on internal resources
- Designed new information architecture and mobile responsive visual display of website and email communications.
- Developed variations of custom sliders/rotators, map, donation forms, Google Search, persistent widget with calls-to-action, and other interactive features in the new website.
- Incorporated live social media streams into home page.
- Customized donation forms for user-friendly display of recurring gifts, giving level buttons, and mobile responsiveness.
- Created new, mobile responsive email templates.
- Provided onsite and remote Blackbaud NetCommunity training.
Like What You See?
Contact us for a custom proposal to boost your mission.