Illinois Institute of Technology Alumni Association
“We knew that we wanted — no, needed — mobile optimization. We couldn’t risk looking behind the times. We needed to be in front of the trends.”
– Lisa Notter, Senior Director, Advancement Communications, Events & Stewardship
When a new director for advancement communications came on board at Illinois Institute of Technology, she knew a mobile website was a must-have for alumni and fundraising outreach.
But only a year had passed since IIT’s migration from iModules to NetCommunity™, and a budget for a mobile site or any major website enhancement or redesign seemed unattainable. However, when the central marketing office at IIT made the switch to a responsive website design, the development team made the case that the web assets also needed to go responsive, and secured the funds to proceed.
Lisa, Rebecca, and their team worked with IIT to re-create the central institution’s branding, navigation and responsive functionality within their chosen CMS. Together, they worked through page layouts, email templates and more. Key features include:
- A home page slideshow created via custom parts for ease of editing and maintaining. This slideshow is also able to be used on internal pages as needed
- Emphasis on “visual navigation” both on homepage and landing pages that allows the flexibility to interchange those “visuals” as priorities change throughout the year
- Implementation of “Font Awesome” web fonts for icon treatments (as opposed to graphics) so that icons can be updated easily and will scale appropriately
- Responsive email templates for personalized outreach and enewsletter communications
At the first alumni board meeting post re-launch, the site received universal praise. Users remarked on how the site was easier to use and easier to find what they needed.
Since the re-launch, site usage has steadily increased, with the donation page now the third most visited page.
Visit the website at alumni.iit.edu.